Board Certified Behavior Analyst
Licensed Professional Counselor
Patti is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst and Licensed Professional Counselor. She received a Master’s Degree in Applied Behavior Analysis from Western Michigan University in 1983. Over the past 35 years Patti has worked with children and families in a variety of setting: private practice (Psychological Associates), non-profit agencies (Strive, Hilltop Rehabilitation Hospital, Marriage and Family Counseling) and public schools (Kalamazoo Valley Intermediate School District).
Patti has worked with children who have varying Neuro-developmental, behavioral and mental health disorders. Specializing in autism spectrum disorders for the past six years, Patti has received specialized training at the Center for Autism and Related Disorders and Vanderbilt University.
Patti founded Behavior Services, Incorporated in 2016 with the dream of creating a program that would fit the individualized needs of each child and family served. Several beliefs and values are at the core of how services are provided:
- All children can learn
- Parents know their children best and are their child’s primary therapist
- ABA programs must be developmentally sequenced
- Behavior is communication. We need to understand what a child is trying to tell us
- Treatment activities should be child led. We can find learning opportunities anywhere that a child wants to be
- A child will not be motivated to work with us or to learn if we do not honor their preferences
- Children with ASD need to learn to sometimes cooperate with the agenda of others, and there needs to be motivation for them to do so
Since June of 2016, Patti and her staff have provided services to over 70 children, adolescents and young adults.